Friday, June 21, 2024

Crossword Puzzles - a short post, but a long solution

 

Years ago, I used to do the NY Times crossword puzzle almost every day.  Monday's puzzle was usually the easiest, progressing in difficulty until Sunday was reached.  On Monday, the cycle would start again.  This week, I tried to do Monday's puzzle, and was able to get it done in a couple of hours,  I guess the skill I honed many years ago is still there - fill in the blanks as best I could, then revise my answers when one clue proves another answer was wrong, repeating as needed.

One of the best puzzles I saw was a marriage proposal, where both future husband and wife were puzzle aficionados, and the Times' staff took pains to help this man surprise his future fiancee.  I loved seeing it, as it was a one of a kind special request that showed that the Times isn't as stuffy as it could be.  Another puzzle had the names of three US Presidents whose images adorned US paper currency. (As a former employee of a bank, I could relate to this puzzle!)  Most of the time, I didn't get all of the clues or answers.  But I had fun trying to find the solution.

Now that I'm retired, I have the time to get back into this pastime.  I'll let you know if I find a fun puzzle with entertainingly quirky clues and answers....

No comments:

Packing is such a pain in the ass - a short post

  If only I could fit enough clothes to last me for 17 days in a small backpack.  Sadly, this is not doable.  Instead, I packed 45 lbs. of c...