OK, this is not going to be a long post today. I have too much on my mind to talk about my day, or about the big issues that occupy my mind these days. Instead, I'd like to talk about something simple: How should people announce their arrival when delivering things such as a hot pizza?
- - - - - -
When my apartment building was constructed, the doorbell buttons were placed below the mailboxes on the main landing. This is not intuitive for most people. So, I placed a new doorbell button near my front door - and no one knew to ring me. All they could do was knock on my door - and I couldn't hear it from my bedroom. So, I decided to buy a door knocker.
The first door knocker I bought was way too big for my door, a star shaped knocker that measured 8" x 4" from top to bottom and side to side. The minute I saw it, I knew it wasn't right for me. So I decided to go to Home Depot and Lowe's to find something I could put on my door. Well, Home Depot no longer carries these items in its stores, and the only one at Lowe's cost $70. There was no way I'd spend that kind of money on something that would rarely be used. So, it was back to Amazon to order a new knocker.
Two days later, the new knocker came to my place. And I decided to install it during an afternoon where I'd be at home for the day. I was lucky to have a cheap drill to put new holes in my door. But it was a pain to screw the knocker onto the door, as the "Knocking ring" (whatever you want to call the piece hanging from the lion's mouth) got in the way of screwing the screws into the door. AARGH! But I got this job done in two separate attempts, and not have something which should make a loud enough sound when someone's at the door.
PS: Today's post reminds me of a joke from the movie "Young Frankenstein." In one scene, Gene Wilder is looking at Teri Garr's breasts and the giant door knocker nearby, and says "What Knockers!?!" Leave it to Mel Brooks to slip a joke like this into his films.

No comments:
Post a Comment