Sunday, October 20, 2019

Back from the cruise, and dealing with withdrawal


As I started this entry, it has been 2 days since I last spoke with my former best friend - and I recognize my feelings are related to grief and withdrawal symptoms over the loss of a good friend.  But I've learned that processing some feelings takes time, and that one can't rush past feelings of grief. So I talk about things to help me process those feelings....

- - - - - -

When I got home on Saturday, I was not in the best of moods. I warned GFJ about how I was feeling, just in case she wanted an excuse to bail on me this weekend. Then I checked the balance in one of my bank accounts, so that I could move a joint account I share with my brother to my private account - and my brother closed the account earlier than expected. This meant that I'd have to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get my ATM card and to make withdrawals from the new account.  Luckily, I had enough money in the account to keep me well funded for the week.

After a bit of "rest" (I was catching up on my emails and blog entries), GFJ finally got here.  (Earlier, she was at a meetup in Fort Montgomery.) We decided to get a quick bite to eat while we both had energy, then come back to the house to rest.  Arriving at the local diner, we were very surprised that we could get a seat - Pumpkin Blaze Season had started, and this usually turns the quiet diner into a busy Fred Harvey restaurant when the Santa Fe passenger train arrived.

Although both of us were in the mood to see a movie after dinner, we both knew we were too tired to do so.  Instead, we went home for the night, and passed out by the time the evening news came on....

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

Sunday was a much better day for us, but there was one problem - neither of us were in the mood to get moving until mid afternoon.  GFJ suggested that we go to Fort Montgomery and see the presentation she saw the day before, then take a walk in the area.  We started to do just this when it started to rain.  So we ended up turning around at the old toll booth on the "Goat Path", and headed to Pleasantville to see Judy, the bio pic about Judy Garland's London concerts.

Judy Garland is a very tragic figure.  Starved for the sake of maintaining an underweight body, she developed addictions to stimulants and depressants in order to get through her day.  She never knew true happiness in her relationships with men, as her multiple addictions got in the way of addressing her feelings.  The movie "Judy" shows Garland for the tragic figure she was, and yet presents her in a warm light.  Both GFJ and I enjoyed the film, and recommend seeing it while the film is in the theaters.

- - - - - -            - - - - - -            - - - - - -

GFJ stayed overnight, but had to leave on Monday morning.  The only thing I had scheduled for the day was my attendance at the monthly Arts Westchester meeting.  And I got there a few minutes after the start of the meeting.

The purpose of the Arts Westchester meetings is to arrange volunteer coverage of events sponsored/funded by the organization and help make sure that Arts Westchester gets value out of their grant monies.  So, every month, a group of volunteers attends events across the county to perform event reviews.  Since I am usually busy with GFJ on weekends, I only volunteer for activities that take place during the week.  And I found one event that I'll be attending at the beginning of November.

After the meeting, three of us went for a late lunch at Bloomingdale's.  After 35 years of living in Westchester, this was the first time I entered the building and the first time I had anything to eat at their restaurant. Although a little pricey, it is not outrageously expensive, and it gives good value for the money.  (I'd go there again, if someone suggested it.)  We chatted over lunch for about 2 leisurely hours, and it was only the hour of the day that caused us to go our own ways.  Hopefully, the three of us will lunch there again.

Next, I was homeward bound, and I fell asleep shortly after I got there.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to connect with GFJ tonight, but I'll be sure to do so tomorrow....

No comments:

The car is no longer mine - a quick post

  DCD and I finally did it.  Tonight, I signed over the car to him, and he can start the process of getting the car back on the road. I'...