Monday, May 23, 2022

A pleasant addiction.

 

I am a YouTube addict.  But I am not one who goes for simple entertainment most of the time.  Instead, I look for videos that cover new facts, new ideas, and new experiences.  For example, many of the videos I've been viewing lately have been the topic of travel - specifically, travel on land and on water.  Air travel may be interesting, but there are fewer things that hold my interest involving that mode of transit.

RQS has introduced me to one of the videos she likes to view: Simon's Cat.  The creator of this video series has nailed the actions of a cat, and has brought out the humor of having a cat around the house.  (Did I mention that RQS owns two cats of her own?)   When I need a chuckle, I sometimes look for the latest episode of this cat.

FCP used to watch videos from Dr. Pimple Popper, Sandra Lee.  Sometimes, I've watched these videos out of some primitive brain area curiosity.  I find it amazing how bad these growths have become before they go to this famous dermatologist for help.  Thankfully, I have never needed her services.

It's hard to believe that this business has evolved from a money losing home for meaningless videos to a money making home for user provided content of varying value.  If you want to find out how to adjust the "hidden" settings on a CPAP machine, you'll find it there.  If you want to find out how to replace the control unit for an air conditioner, you'll find it there.  And I'll bet that you'll find videos of almost every surgical procedure if you look hard enough.  (That might be a stretch, but one never knows....)

The most interesting thing about YouTube is how democratic it tends to be.  Almost anybody can put up a video, and it will get promoted if the creator's videos: (1) Get a lot of hits on the video, (2) The viewers of the video watch it for a long time, and that the viewers tend to watch the ads that go along with the video.  Once you reach a certain number of viewers and you have monetized the video channel, you can get a cut of their ad revenue.  It's amazing how much money one can earn by having a popular video on a popular channel.

Given my interests in trains and cruising, I'm tempted to create a channel called "One if by land, Two if by sea."  But it will likely be a dud....

No comments:

I get frustrated when a business says something is delivered when it isn't.

  How many of you use Amazon and get notices that your products have been delivered when this is not so?  Well, I'm tired of these presu...