Wednesday, October 20, 2021

I was thinking of a topic for discussion

 

The weekend after Columbus day is when Fantasia Fair is usually scheduled.  I've only had the privilege to attend this gathering once, and I hope to be able to do so again one day.  The first time I attended, I was a newbie, and had much to learn.  Next time, I hope to be able to pass on some of my "wisdom" so that newcomers can have an easier time in their paths towards "transition".

You'll note that the word "transition" in the prior paragraph has been put in quotes.  Movement towards being your authentic self does not require a full medical or social transition.  Each person's path has its own stops along the way, and each person has his/her own unique goal which he/she wants to achieve.  In some cases, it is a full transition, where the body is shaped to better fit the person's image of what he/she wants to be.  In other cases, it is a partial transition, where many of the characteristics of the opposite sex are incorporated into that person's body, so that he/she feels complete.  And in still others, it is a temporary transition, where one can simply take on the role of the other sex for a while, and retreat to where he/she originally started.  This is a gross simplification, as it focuses only on body presentation and not all the other subtleties implied by the gender spectrum.

In my case, I would prefer to have a female body - with all that this entails.  Unlike most transgender people, my male body does not bother me.  It simply doesn't suit my purposes, save in one way which I won't go into right now.  I can live with what I have.  With other people, they will sacrifice everything to have the body that he/she wants in the gender that he/she needs to exist in.  Severe gender dysphoria is often treated with GCS (Gender Confirmation Surgery), but it is often not available to many transgender people for a myriad of reasons, financial cost being one of them, but not the only one.  For many, the social and professional costs are prices too high for them to pay. 

The topic I'd like to discuss involves my experiences living in the world as Marian, and the costs I've had to pay to do so.  I'd also like to discuss the costs others have had to pay, and tell the audience that going in this direction is not for weaklings.  A person will be attacked from many directions by many people - most of them unexpected.  But the rewards are great - life as one's authentic self is very fulfilling, and worth all the costs involved in doing so.  Would something like this be a good topic for a Fantasia Fair presentation?  Maybe.  But first, I'd like to speak with someone I know who has done just that....

 

 

2 comments:

Stana said...

I've made three presentations in the past at Fantasia Fair. Twice, my topic was similar to what you are considering. Both times, attendance was low. The problem is that you are competing with two other presentations in the same time slot and the total Fair attendees during a weekday is less than 100. If the weather is nice, they might prefer shopping and/or sightseeing. Or they might prefer to sleep in if they were out late the night before and your in a morning time slot. (So seek an afternoon slot later in the week.) My third presentation was my "Femulate Blog Party," which was advertised daily on my blog and attendance was very good. Dunno what attendance would have been without my blog plugs. By the way, I have a photo of you at a Fantasia Fair event. If I did not send it to you already, let me know if you want it and I will email it to you.

Marian said...

Stana -

Please mail it to me.

I agree with you about the presentations. For many, the fair is the one place they can go out as their authentic selves, and they would rather make the most of their limited time in Provincetown. My presentation would be worth the hour or two that they would spend (I hope) listening to me, as people like us have much experience to share that will make their lives easier.

The fair is a great place for people starting to learn about their TG nature. But the more we're out in the world, the less we need the scaffolding that peers can provide. Yet, we have a duty to help others find their way, as people were there for us when we needed them....

M

It's amazing how apathetic some people can be.

  As readers of this blog know, I am on my co-op's board.  Tonight we held our third yearly meeting, where we failed to reach a quorum. ...