A little over two weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go on my cruise. It'd have been a great shame if I had not done so. In it's own way, this cruise opened up my eyes a bit more in seeing the world.
- - - - - -
When I went off to take this cruise, I was not sure if my legs and back would hold out through the cruise and get me home. While on the cruise, my leg/back problem was always on my mind. I'd get up in the morning and wonder whether I'd be able to make it to breakfast, not even sure if I'd have the ability to go on any of the upcoming shore excursions. And I had good reason for doubt.
In Cobh (the port for Cork), I could barely move. It was a long walk from the ship to the Cobh Heritage Center, and I was constantly looking for places to sit while touring the museum. Would I be able to make it on other shore excursions we had already paid for? Dublin would prove that with a little help, I could make it through a long day's shore excursion, as I was able to tour Malahide Castle by using a portable collapsing stool provided by the castle.
Now that I had proof that I could deal with the pain, Liverpool may have been the worst pain I had to deal with before things got easier for me. We had scheduled a walking tour of Beatles' Liverpool, and knew we couldn't keep up the pace. We still walked over to the Beatles Museum on Mathew Street (about 1 km away), and got a little lost going back to the ship. When I looked at the fitness tracker on my phone, we had walked about 2 miles that day.
Things started to become easier for me when we went to the Giant's Causeway and to Skara Brae. Walking a distance wasn't that bad, as long as I found places where I could take a rest now and then. By the time we were ready to go home, I could have walked a couple of miles and survived the effort.
- - - - - -
Strangely enough, on our trip home, RQS had arranged for us to get mobility assistance from the airline, getting us from the check-in counter, through Heathrow security, to the Handicapped persons' waiting room, and then to the gate. And in New York, the same assistance was provided getting us from the plane to customs, luggage pickup, and to the ride share pickup.
In short, I found that I was capable of much more than I thought I was capable of doing. And by taking on the challenge of this trip, I enjoyed experiences I never would have enjoyed had I given in.

No comments:
Post a Comment